Friday, November 4, 2016

The Sheriff locks up a podium

Michael Burleigh, aka The Sheriff, reflects back on last Sunday's grass dragathon that is Interlocken CX, where he sparred with the cream of Colorado's crop of CX racers, finishing 2nd. 

Judging from my grizzled face and leathery skin, I might not seem like I belong on a development 'cross team.  However, despite being 34 years old, I'm in "only" my fourth year of cx racing, and I'm absolutely a cx project.  Specifically, my cx bike handling skills tend to be middling at best and my starts are anemic.  Combine that with the overall talent level here in the Colorado CX scene, and I had come to accept that I would never see the front of a men's Open race.  I would never really factor into the action at the sharp end. 
photo credit: Dejan Smaic Photography
Sunday at Interlocken, however, I had a breakthrough.  After getting off to a decent start, I was able to gradually claw my way past several riders.  I came across a gap to the next group and I was astounded to realize I had made it onto the wheel of Tim Allen. 

I took stock of what was happening in the race.  I was on the back of the chase group, which included Allen, Jason Donald and Ken Benesh.  Chris Baddick was alone off the front with a 15 second gap. To me, all four of these riders exist on a higher plane of CX enlightenment than I've ever been able to achieve. Nevertheless, when the course wrapped back on itself, I could actually see the front of the race! I thought to myself, oh this would be a terrific result - my best ever - if I can hold on to this group. 

I tried to stay smooth and avoid a big mistake - don't panic.  I was riding with the chase group!! But then former EVOL teammate Benesh attacked and it broke the group apart.  I was barely able to drag myself back up to him.  I'm third wheel in a CX race!  There's only 3 laps left.  Oh what a result this would be if I can stay with Benesh, I thought, top three!  I focused on holding his wheel. 

We exited a corner and a long, grassy straight lay before us.  Benesh flicked his elbow, directing me to pull through.  Hmmmm... should I pull through?  Can I pull through? I like Ken a lot and want his respect, but that's not a reason to pull through.  Can we catch Baddick?  Seemed unlikely.  Will we be caught by the riders behind? possibly.  If I don't pull through, will Benesh attack me?  Probably.  After a few seconds of thought, I came around him and took my pull.  

I led for most of a lap and then flicked my elbow for Benesh to come around me.  We were slowly reeling Baddick back in but there was only 2 laps left. As I rode on his wheel, I bobbled a turn just slightly and a small gap opened up between us.  Benesh seemed to ramp the pressure up just slightly in response.  I tried not to panic.   
photo credit: Dejan Smaic Photography
As he rounded yet another grassy corner covered in fallen leaves, he lost the front wheel and went down. I was just able to avoid him as he lay on the ground.  I looked behind me and he was already back on his bike.  Should I wait?  No, we weren't going to catch Baddick and the crash was not my fault.  One and half laps stood between me and 2nd place.  I tried not to panic.

As I neared the final straight, I looked back to see the gap behind was comfortable.  I couldn't help but pump my fist as I rode across the line.  I hadn't won, but I felt truly victorious.  I had finally overcome myself and put together an entire race of very solid CX riding.  I was actually relevant in a CX race!  I was there to see Chris Baddick alone off the front.  I was there to see Ken Benesh crash in the last two laps. I saw the chase group break apart.

I have no idea if I'll ever be able to replicate my performance from last Sunday.  Even if I can never get back there, I still existed, if only for one hour, on the same plane as the best Colorado cross racers.  And it was pure joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment